History

 A History of Dedication to Youth
Seven decades of success. Since 1946, there has been an organization dedicated to the youth in and around Newburgh. In that time, some 25,000 children have walked into our doors, walking out stronger, smarter, and better world citizens.


Glenn E. Hines

1946

In 1946, concerned Newburgh community citizens launched the Community Workers Association to create a safe place for city youth to fill their leisure time. Under Executive Director Glenn E. Hines, the organization opened in a store front location on Water Street.

Harvey J. Burger

1967

The Association became the Community Centers of Newburgh in 1967, merging with the Lander Street Community Center under the direction of Board President James Ponder and Executive Director Harvey J. Burger. The former YWCA facility on Liberty Street was purchased as the organization's headquarters.

Rev. Nelson McAllister

1995

In 1995, the organization evolved once more, beginning an affiliation with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America under the direction of Board President Ron Jackson and Executive Director Nelson McAllister. The Glenn E. Hines Memorial Boys & Girls Club of Newburgh has been part of the fabric of Newburgh for over 15 years.

Kevin D. White

2011

In 2011, the Club merged with the Newburgh Performing Arts Academy (NPAA). Since 2004, the NPAA has built a respected program from their Grand Street location, offering formal training in the performing and visual arts to children and youth ages 3-18.

While both organizations will retain their individual facilities, programs, and goals, they are now unified under the direction of the NPAA management team, with Executive Director Kevin White at the helm. The new organization is called Boys & Girls Club of Newburgh.

Share by: